Monday, November 24, 2008

Will this Thanksgiving be a horror story for Fischer?


Because of books like Eve Bunting's A Turkey for Thanksgiving and a few other similar stories on our shelf, Fischer is just absolutely positive that we'll be having a turkey for dinner on Thanksgiving. No... not on a platter, but on a chair... as a guest. We've gone many a round with this one. He thinks it is hilarious when I say that we are going to eat the turkey. He "knows" I'm pretending. Because how would the turkey fit into our mouths? ... Obviously it would be too big. I've tried to explain that the turkey will be dead and cooked... but he doesn't get it. Luckily I stopped myself tonight from telling him that we'll "just cut him up with a knife so he'll fit in our mouths". I think that may have been a traumatizing image for bedtime. Sooo, I have no idea what horror may occur at our house on Thursday when there is no big colorful bird sitting at the head of the table... only the gnashing of teeth and people mumbling... "the turkey is delicious". Yikes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When my friend's daughter was five years old her mom made the mistake of joking aobut how the cute cows they were looking at on the farm would be the hamburger she was going to eat for lunch. The girl didn't eat a hamburger for three years!!! I'll be curious to see how Fischer takes to the turkey this year. And hey... if he doesn't want to eat it there is always Carnation instant breakfast, right?

Anonymous said...

this is so funny...
gosh, i didn't eat meat for years and years because of something my uncle told me about veal when i was little.
i only got over being vegetarian about 4 and a half years ago! did fisher eat turkey?
Sam