Tuesday, May 27, 2008

We're sprouting up veggies!


Our garden has begun to show hundreds of little sprouts popping up all over!!! It is sooo fun! From the seeds we planted, we can see actual seedlings of zucchini, cucumbers, spinach, carrots, peas, green beans, and artichokes. I haven't seen any broccoli poking up yet. Also our fruits are going crazy. Last year we planted strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and grapes. All of the plants are healthy and growing bigger. This is only our second year with our garden, but we are having a great time. We recently bought a few herb and tomato plants and we are ready to watch everything grow! I've said it before, but I plan to be a bit more generous with our garden this year. last year I was way too stingy because i thought that I was going to can or freeze or pickle ALL of it! It turned out that I don't actually know how to do that, so this year I'll be learning about it AND I'll be sharing. Maybe I'll have to have a garden party!

In honor of our budding veggies I'd like to suggest 4 books about the life/plant cycles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another book to add to your gardening collection: Zev also likes the book Carrot Soup-
and there are a few other Lois Elhert ones about gardening- Zev likes the "pie" one but I am in the basement and can't recall the title- the book is in his room and he is asleep
Lauren
We're growing beans in a plastic dump truck this year

Lisa, F is for Fischer said...

It looks like Ehlert has Pie in the Sky and Planting a Rainbow that would be fun. We don't have those. We'll have to get to the library this week. Last week's library trip was sport books and art books, oh... and a few bottly function books that weren't that great for this age. Thanks for the ideas!

If we tried to grow anything in a dump truck it would get dumped!