Monday, November 10, 2008

Vets, Poppies and Gratitude


Tomorrow is Veterans Day. It is a time to remember those who have served and a time to be thankful for the freedoms that we enjoy.
Friday, Fischer and I were walking up to the entrance of a store. Outside, were two Veteran soldiers passing out the Buddy Poppys to fund raise for disabled and needy veterans of foreign wars. People kept walking right pass them, not looking, not listening, shrugging off the FREE poppy. Fischer and I stopped and took a poppy and thanked the men. I now wish that we had contributed to their fund or had engaged the men in conversation about their cause and about their service. I didn't think I'd know what to say... I wish that I had said something. I explained to Fischer that these men were brave soldiers who fought in a war to keep us safe and to ensure our freedom. He loved the flower.
My grandfathers are Veterans as I'm sure yours may be also... I think we'll send Fischer's only Great-Grandfather (PaPa) a card thanking him for fighting for us.
For more about Veteran's Day or ideas of things to do in the classroom or with your kids at home, you can go to the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs and/or the VA Kids page.

No comments: