Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Entice your kids to practice reading with Starfall


Starfall.com is a terrific free website with many quality games and activities to help kids learn to read. There are activities for practicing letter identification and letter sounds, for sounding out new words, for reading sight words, and repetitive print, and finally to read easy and interesting stories. This is definitely a valuable site to have on hand for any age, from the emergent reader to the struggling reader, I think any kid could find this site helpful and fun. I use it with one of the students that I tutor. I was going to test out the letter activities with Fisch - I think that I'll have to man the mouse right now, but he always wants to "play a game" on the computer - so he should be excited. I know that my mother-in-law 9also a special education teacher) has recommended the site to many parents and she has also bought and used a lot of the materials.
I'm sure that I don't need to say this, but I'm going to anyway. No computer game is EVER going to take the place of books and reading with your child. However, it is a fun way to practice, to build confidences, and to help them gain interest in reading.
Update: Fischer loves the ABC games.

No comments: