Friday, April 25, 2008

The importance of trees




The Great Kapok Tree by Lynne Cherry is about the importance of trees in the rain forest. A man comes to chop down a Kapok tree, but the animals who live in the tree have much to say. This beautifully illustrated story sparks the reader's interest in the connections between trees and all other creatures and the affects that trees have on our environment.



The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein is a very simple love story that I'm sure all of us have read. It is about the relationship that one boy has with his apple tree. I always tear up a little when I read this story, for some reason I just really feel for the tree. Maybe I feel like the tree is my mom and I am the boy... whoa.... where is a therapist when you need one? Or maybe , now, I am the tree and the boy is Fischer.... Or maybe the tree is God and we are all the boy... Anyway, definitely a sweet story about unconditional love.



The Dead Tree by Alvin Tresselt and Charles Robinson is about the circle of life of a tree. It doesn't have a flashy title and definitely doesn't have flashy illustrations, but I love this book. It reminds the reader about the importance of trees in each of their different stages of life. The mighty Oak provides food and shelter to so many animals, but what good is it to the forest after it falls? An excellent read for Arbor day or any day.



No comments: