Thursday, December 31, 2009

A goal for the new year

Ok, here is my plan, thanks for your advice. Instead of running for 365 days, I am going to exercise for 365 days minus 52 days (one day off a week). So, I'll be exercising for at least 30 minutes for 313 days in 2010.

I'll be doing a lot of running to get ready for another marathon in October, but by using the term "exercise" I can do stretching or yoga if I am sick or injured (good idea Lauren).

Do you have any fitness plans for the new year, or fitness plans that work for you now? I'd love some ideas and advice to keep myself motivated. There is a 6 week plan in the Women's Health magazine that I think I'll incorporate at one point, and I'll do the Couch to 5k plan too. I'm thinking that if I keep changing it up, I won't get bored. Also, short term goals are good.

So this is where I am starting... I can always amp it up... but this is my overall goal.

I'm prepping right now by cutting out all of the sweet treats and refined sugar in my diet for a few weeks. December had me addicted to cookies! Seriously, they are THAT good! ;) By the way no sugar for me means real withdrawals, like headaches, grumpiness, and ravishing hunger. Yikes!

1 comment:

Karrie said...

That sounds like a great plan! I have one similar- and I "ran" the other day for 3/4 of a mile, and then walked the rest of the way. It's amazing how out of shape I got... all because I had to take a couple of weeks off last summer. Those two weeks turned into months.
I, too, have a sugar addiction... no carbs for a few days, with the reintroduction of healthy ones is the only way I can do it. I'm also going to cut diet sodas out this year, with the exception of once a week as a treat.
I would love to be long distance work out buddies- I'd consider doing a marathon in October, especially if it's in SF.
My plan includes doing the "more or less" diet- more veggies and fruits, less candy and fat. I plan on doing some form of aerobic exercise (mainly running/jogging) 5 days a week, with two days of yoga/stretching, and three days of free weights.
I'd like to see myself how I was when I 19 and in shape. But not so obsessed, because I have other things to occupy my brain now.
Good luck- you are the one who taught me that you can run if you go slow enough and don't quit. I'll never forget that!